Wolfberry Fruit ( gou qi zi ) 枸杞子 Chinese Herbs Articles
Wolfberry Fruit ( gou qi zi ) 枸杞子 - Chinese Herbs Articles, also known as Chinese Wolfberry, Di Gu Pi, Digupi, Fructus Lycii, Fructus Lycii Berry,
Gou Qi Zi, Gouqizi, Lycii Berries, Matrimony Vine, Wolfberry. Lycium chinense, Synonym Lycium barbarum. It belong to the "Solanaceae" family.
Wolfberry Fruit ( gou qi zi ) 枸杞子 has a sweet and neutral properties. It is use for treating the kidney, lung and liver.
Wolfberry Fruit ( gou qi zi ) 枸杞子 Medical Function:
• improves and regulates immune system.
• anti-aging properties : a study on 43 healthy senior adults in which each ate 50 grams of qi zi continuously for 10 days (as a therapy period). The blood tests showed that immune indicators IgA, IgG and lymph cell conversion rate were elevated, cAMP increased, cGMP decreased. The ratios of cAMP/cGMP were elevated to healthy levels. Testosterone were elevated.
• lowers blood lipids
• elevate level of testosterone
• protects liver function, prevents fatty liver
• contains anti-cancer properties
• simulates estrogens
• improves white blood cell counts during chemotherapy
• fruit, stems and leaves can lowers blood sugar
• fruit, stems and leaves can lower blood pressure
• taking gou qi zi can increase the weight of the uteri of mature and immature mice.
• enhance memory
• it chemical ingredients lutein and zeaxanthin can prevent macula degeneration due to free radicals or external causes.
• improves condition of diabetic retinopathy
• toxicity is minimal
Wolfberry Fruit ( gou qi zi ) 枸杞子 Action:
• nourish/tonify liver & kidney – Yin/blood deficiency
• benefits essence – brighten eyes
• enrich Yin – dry lung – consumptive cough (xiao ke)
Wolfberry Fruit ( gou qi zi ) 枸杞子 Cautions Use:
Wolfberry Fruit ( gou qi zi ) 枸杞子 should not be use in cases external heat, (like swelling with inflammation), spleen deficient (pixu) with dampness and loose stool or diarrhea.