Astragalus ( Huang Qi ) 黃耆 Chinese Herbs Articles
Astragalus ( Huang Qi ) 黃耆 Chinese Herbs Articles also written as 黃芪 also known as: Astragali, Beg Kei, Bei Qi, Buck Qi, Huang Qi, Hwanggi, Membranous
Milk Vetch, Milk Vetch, Mongolian Milk, Ogi. Astragalus membranaceus; Astragalus mongholicus. It belong to the Leguminosae or Fabaceae family.
Astragalas ( Huang Qi ) 黃耆 has a sweet taste and a warm properties and it is use for treating the spleen and lung.
Astragalus ( Huang Qi ) 黃耆 Usage:
- tonify spleen & lung Qi - raises Spleen & Stomach Qi (prolapse)
- tonify Wei Qi - stabilize exterior
- tonify Qi and blood due to loss of blood - postpartum fever
- promotes urination - Edema - discharge of pus - generates flesh
Astragalus ( Huang Qi ) 黃耆 Other Use:
1. Orally, Astragalus ( Huang Qi ) 黃耆 is used for treating the common cold and upper respiratory infections; to strengthen and regulate the immune system;
and to increase the production of blood cells particularly in individuals with chronic degenerative disease or in individuals with cancer undergoing
chemotherapy or radiation therapy. It is also used orally for chronic nephritis and diabetes. Astragalus is also used orally as an antibacterial and
antiviral; a tonic; liver protectant; anti-inflammatory; antioxidant; and as a diuretic, vasodilator, or hypotensive agent.
2. Topically, Astragalus ( Huang Qi ) 黃耆 is used as a vasodilator and to speed healing.
3. In combination with Ligustrum lucidum (glossy privet), astragalus is used orally for treating breast, cervical, and lung cancers.
Astragalus ( Huang Qi ) 黃耆 Use Cautions:
There are many varieties of astragalus ( Huang Qi ) 黃耆. Some are toxic. The varieties used in Chinese herbal medicine is relatively safe but in rare cases it might cause rash.